» HOME  »  SCOOP  »  WRITER  »  EXCLUSIVE  »  BOOKS  »  CONTACT

Monday, March 11, 2013

Knitting Procrastination

Book plug - Haven't received my copies of Father By Choice yet, but as soon as I get them, I'll be sending out a copy to someone :) I'll give one out on my blog and another out on my facebook account. /Book plug

Okay, now that that's over, let's get on to the knitting. I've been knitting for a very long time. Off and on over the years. I learned to knit from a book I checked out from the library when I was 9. Back then (in the stone ages), the only place to get yarn from was Walmart. However, for a brief period of time Kewanee had a craft store.

Man, have times changed. I have downloaded patterns, found Ravelry and ordered yarn from the Internet. We have a really nice knitting shop in the town I live in and there is a Michaels not too far away. Of course, I think Kewanee is still stuck with Walmart, but at least there is the Internet now.

So what I'm working on. I made a beaded scarf but haven't done the finishing so no picture yet. I'm also making fingerless gloves for my daughter. It has a basketweave look. This is the one I've finished. I'm working on the other one.

I found a book on Kindle called Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders. It has a beaded fingerless glove that I want to do, but had to order the beads for it since neither Michaels nor the knit shop had the size beads I needed. But I did get a lovely dark purple Alpaca yarn.

I'll post it when I get it done. The other website I found is KnitPicks and bought a bunch more yarn. Now I need to make sure I actually use all this yarn, which means no more buying until this is used up.

My son wants a pair of fingerless gloves too. And I'm thinking of trying as many of the patterns in the One-Skein book as possible. I also picked up some patterns for sweaters and shawls. I really want to try clothing. Most of what I made when I was younger was afghans and the ocassional Christmas ornament.

Now for what the title of this blog post indicates. Yes this feels like procrastination or avoidance of working. I try to keep it to the evening when all I'm doing is watching TV anyway. But I do want to get things done and it's a lot faster to finish a glove than to weave together a story worth telling. It also gives my mind time to think about what I'm working on. But too much... well, then I'm just avoiding. Then again it's a cool hobby that's very fun. What hobbies do you have?

1 comment:

ELF said...

I occasionally crochet, but more during the car rides while we are going somewhere. I am impressed that you are able to actually complete something and I have admired beading needlework but haven't been brave enough to try it myself!