Yes, I suck at my blog, but I haven't had much to say. So now I do and want to post longer than Facebook allows so...
I love Pride & Prejudice! No really, I love it. I don't just like it, I love it bunches. I would totally marry it if I could, but since I can't... I'm going to extol on its many virtues.
1. The book - Not my first exposure to it. I own a copy and adore it. I think it's really hard to understand the full story without first reading the book. I'll admit it's a little hard to get into at first. The writing style is completely different from modern storytelling techniques, but once you are in, you are in. :) While I have read other Jane Austen's books, this one remains my favorite.
2. The BBC awesomeness - Yes I saw the BBC version first, complete on (if I remember correctly) 6 VHS tapes. Loved it. It does give the most complete version of P&P on film. No one can deny that the actors lived in the essence of the story. Wonderful.
3. The Kiera Knightly version - My favorite version of the movie because it doesn't take a day to watch and it stays close to the story structure. The filming is lovely and the setting is a personal fav of mine because I lived in Sheffield just off of the Peak District where Kiera Knightly is on a cliff looking like she's going to get blown off :) Also I've been to Chatsworth Hall which was used for Pemberly Hall in the movie. The bust of Mr. Darcy resides in the statue room which does include the statue of the veiled woman seen in the movie. The statue of the woman is uncanny up close. You can see that it's stone and even look closely to see how it's done, but your mind truly believes that the veil is like cloth.
4. I've been to Bath! And the home of Jane Austen. They have some of the dresses from filming the BBC version and it's a beautiful place. Though Bath is not in P&P, it is Jane Austen (so fan girl!)
5. Becoming Jane - Love, love, love this movie. To think that the woman who touched our hearts with her story of love had a love story of her own... It's mostly made up, but I'm okay with that.
6. Bridget Jones' Diary - Such a quirky movie. It's adaptation of the original story thread is incredible and deliciously modern. It took out bits and pieces and spun them into a story that works. Again I've only saw the movie, but I still love it :)
7. OMG! Have you seen the Lizzie Bennet Diaries!http://www.lizziebennet.com/story/ I just spent the weekend catching up on it and can't wait to see more. Wish I'd discovered it after it was done so I could see the whole thing and not have to wait. But yay!!! They've done a wonderful job of modernizing the story. I have to go follow them all on twitter to find out what is happening. So much fun!
Is there an author or movie or book or series that drives you ga-ga? Something that if you see it's on, you have to stop and watch it?