» HOME  »  SCOOP  »  WRITER  »  EXCLUSIVE  »  BOOKS  »  CONTACT

Friday, August 24, 2007

Why I Procrasinate

Fighting the demon of procrastination is not easy. There are blogs to write, solitaire games to play, TV to watch, house to clean, books to read, e-mails to read, blogs to read, etc. The list goes on and on and on forever on what I'm doing when I should just write. With two children at home this summer and the endless summer touring being done throughout the British Isles, there are tons of things and excuses to not write. So I wait until the kids are in bed to start writing and just get into the story again, when it's time for bed. I'm holding my breath for school to start in a week. I'm hoping to fight off procrastination with a ten foot pole and a firm schedule. I know that I need breaks throughout the day while I write, but there are only 7 hours the kids are at school. I am also expected to keep the house tidy and do the laundry. So I'll spend the next week putting together a schedule and the following week trying to stick to it.

I think part of mastering the demon is allowing myself some time to do the things that are generally my procrastination tools. So I'll try to schedule those in as well. Some of the things will be done when the kids are home like tidying the kitchen and such.

I also realize that I procrastinate when I don't have a plan or an idea for the next scene or I'm worried about the work that I've done. For this I have no good answer, besides trying to outline the next scene or just plug away with writing.

How do you fight your demon of procrastination?

No comments: